Friday, May 4, 2012

Jesus and His Sacred Heart - On Clearance

Yesterday, I was at the grocery store and stopped by the clearance rack, like I always do.  Often, I find something great that I would normally buy anyway.  However, what I found yesterday was the best (and worst) most unexpected find, yet.  The cart was overflowing with candles.  What's this?!  A candle with Our Lady of Guadalupe on it.  What's this?!  A candle with my Jesus on it!  My Jesus and His Sacred Heart!  For $0.75.  At first, I was thrilled at the idea that I could own these candles for next to nothing.  I bought all of the Mary candles (for our upcoming Ladies Brunch) and called a friend to see if she could come and rescue the remaining Jesus candles from that cart!  Indeed, she went right away and bought all they had.

After the thrill of finding such a great buy, a more somber truth settled in.  Paying $0.75 for something with Jesus' image on it is more than I pay for Jesus, himself!  (Take a minute, and let that sink in).  Jesus is the only thing in this life where the real thing costs less than a replica!  We pay nothing for our salvation in Jesus Christ.  He paid it all.  We pay nothing.  Not a single penny.

My next thought was one of sadness.  Jesus (and His mother) should not be in the clearance cart!!  Why were there so many Jesus candles "leftover"?  Didn't anybody want them?  Is it because they already have enough images of Him in their home or because His image doesn't mean anything to them?  If they're  thinking anything at all, is it "What's up with the heart on fire?"  "That's just weird." 

In the Diary of St. Faustina, Jesus says, "The flames of mercy are burning Me.  I desire to pour them out upon human souls.  Oh, what pain they cause Me when they do not want to accept them!"

When I first read this, I wilted inside.  We are hurting Jesus, even more than the pain He suffered during His Passion and Crucifixion, because we do not trust Him and accept His mercy!!   "My child, all your sins have not wounded My Heart as painfully as your present lack of trust does - that after so many efforts of My love and mercy, you should still doubt My goodness."

Oh, Jesus.  Please don't lose patience with us.  Please give us the grace to recognize our distrust and the grace to overcome it.  Please show us how to accept your mercy.  Please show us how to love and trust You, more.  Lord, this is the only return that You ask for, that we receive what You died to give us.  Please give us the grace to desire this more than anything and then please show us how to live it.  I love You and I trust in You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment