Sunday, May 13, 2012

Motherhood - A Powerful Means for Sanctification

Happy Mother's Day!!!  To all mothers, biological and spiritual, thank you for giving your love to the world!!  As I wrote yesterday, we are all called to this spiritual motherhood - to look for the good in others when they can't see it for themselves.  To love without conditions and without calculating the cost.  Truly, motherhood is the path to holiness for so many of us!

In Apostolate for Holy Motherhood, The Blessed Mother says:

"Some persons think that they must face great trials in order to be made holy, but it is often in the daily duty that the sanctification will take place.  Those who are closest to you will often cause the greatest trials...Great things are accomplished in the secrets of the soul when an individual is willing to cooperate fully with God's grace, and with one who is truly abandoned to the will of God."

"The Christ Child will be your guide in perfecting you in the way of motherhood, such a sublime vocation which has sadly fallen into disregard among many.  He will help you to understand the beauty and wonder of innocent children.  Pray to Him and He will help you.  Children are so special to God.  Their nurturance is of the utmost importance to Him.  He wishes you to do this well."

Following is a letter to my third son, 2 weeks before he was born (He is now 3).  It is proof of a mother's love (and a family's love) - a love that precedes knowledge and  anticipates the needs of another. 

March 1, 2009 - 3:02am
Dear Baby Wyatt, 
I haven’t taken the opportunity to write to you, yet…to let you know how much we love you already, and you aren’t even born.  We cannot wait to meet you!  You are officially due 3 weeks from today, on March 22 (I was starting to think that March was never going to get here).  I have started having more contractions, but not the kind that really hurt, just the kind that make everything tight.  Your Daddy painted your room green today, it was blue before. Your brothers, Brayton and Walker, have been enjoying playing in there, jumping on the bed and playing with all of the toys that I’ve been saving for you.  Walker gave his room up for you back in January, with no problem at all. They can’t wait to meet you and love you and teach you everything they know.  Brayton says he going to change your diaper (even if it’s poopy), feed you, teach you how to stand up and how to walk.  Walker says he’s going to teach you how to play trains and watch TV.  Brayton loves to feel you moving in my tummy, but Walker doesn’t have the patience for it.  They talk to you and kiss you through my tummy. 
I can’t wait to see what you look like, to kiss you, and hold you.  I can’t wait to see how much you weigh and what your personality is like.  I can’t wait to see you in your Daddy’s arms.  I really want to breastfeed you, I hope you’re patient with me.  I didn’t have much luck with your brothers, but I feel like I know a lot more this time. 
Your Grandma Sue lives 2 doors down and your Grandma and Grandpa Zeller are coming to TX, as soon as we think there’s a chance that you’re coming.  They’re hoping to see your birth and stay for a week or so after you join us.  Grandma Jackie will see you soon after you’re born, too, because we’re going to take the computer to the hospital, so she can see you on the WebCam.  Your Daddy is taking a month off of work to be with you, and so am I.  After that, you’re going to go to work with me until you get too bored and then we’ll figure out another arrangement. 
The ladies from the St. Vincent de Paul Society are throwing you (and me) a baby shower tomorrow.  You must be pretty special!   
We live in a house FULL of love and the beautiful thing is that there is only going to be more once you get here.  Love is going to be pouring out of the 4 of us, just for you…plus, all of the love your grandparents are going to bring!  What a gift from God!  
I thank God for you every day. 
I love you, Wyatt Joseph Dixon! 
Love, 
Your Mommy

Mother Teresa says "Each time anyone comes into contact with us, they must become different and better people because of having met us.  We must radiate God's love."

Dear God, Thank you for the precious gift of motherhood, a source of joy, suffering, and most importantly our sanctification.  Lord, I commend to you all the mothers who have lost their children and those who are suffering because of their children's choices.  Help them to remember what You say in Imitation of Christ:  "When I give you something, it is still mine; when I take it back, I am not taking anything of yours, because every good gift, every perfect gift belongs to me."  I lift up all mothers whose children cannot speak to them or return their love.

Dear Jesus, Thank you for giving Your mother to us at the foot of the cross. 

Mary, please rush to the aid of your children - Especially those who were not or are not loved by their mother and those who continue to be hurt by the one who is supposed to love them most.

Finally, Jesus, please bless abundantly the mothers and all people who pour themselves out day after day.  Help them to do it joyfully, as if unto You.  We ask this in Your Precious Name, Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment