Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Tomorrow - The Last Day of School

Tomorrow is the last day of school.  From all of the conversations I've had, it sounds like this is a bittersweet transition for most of us.  We're excited for the change of pace to a slower one and the freedom that comes with not being bound by the hours of the school day, but it comes with the price of having little or no alone time.  I'm looking forward to reading with my boys, lots of swimming, and day trips.  I'm looking forward to reconnecting with my school boys.  I'm looking forward to not rushing out the door in the morning (and the yelling that has been known to accompany it).  I'm looking forward to challenging them and enjoying them.  I am looking forward to "soaking up the time".

I used to reflect on the days when I would have school-aged children.  Time is really picking up speed.

August 21, 2009 - Friday 7:51am 

I was just thinking about having just 1 more year with all of my kids at home.  This is our last year for leisurely mornings…sitting on the couch watching movies or PBS w/ sippy cups in hand.  Every one says time really starts to fly when your kids start school.  Walker is not going to know what to do with himself when Brayton starts kindergarten!  We have such a beautifully simple life.  Granted, I occasionally feel pressures that I need to be stimulating them more, teaching them more things, cleaning more, etc…, but these feelings have abated considerably since Wyatt was born.  It seems that the pressure was off because I could no longer “do it all.”  Brayton and Wyatt have adapted beautifully.  I am amazed how they are able to entertain themselves, now.  They build Lego guns and forts out of couch cushions and blankets. 
Wyatt is still getting up twice in the middle of the night.  He’s 5 months old now, I’m ready for a good night’s sleep.  However, I’m going to have to relearn how to do that because I wake up every few hours whether Wyatt is awake or not.  He is such a happy baby.  He has the most beautiful smile and he uses it constantly.  It is almost loud, it is so big.   
I’ve started walking the dogs after Wyatt goes to bed.  Brayton and Walker go along to ride their bikes.  It feels good to be giving them some love, attention, and exercise.  It has been a really long time. 
I’m reading St. Therese of Lisieux’s autobiography, after reading several books about Mother Teresa.  I have a strong desire to read about the lives of all the saints, especially women.  I don’t desire to suffer, as these saints did.  I suppose when a person is close to sainthood, they see the unmatched beauty and sanctification which takes place in a soul through suffering.
My friend, Kathy, has just experienced my worst fear…watching one of her children die.  I pray that God never sends me this trial.  I wonder if God is going to send me more children, even though Brett would like to be done.  More and more, I understand my vocation to be that of a wife and mother - Providing an environment conducive for cultivating healthy and holy souls. (end)

Mark 10:45 tells us "For the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many."

Ransom is defined as "The release of property or a person in return for payment of a demanded price."  Christ paid the price of our sins with His life.  My calling is to be as Christ.  My life is to be spent as a downpayment, so that my children may accept Christ's payment for their sins.  If I don't lead them to believe in Him and accept His payment for their sins with my life, who will?  How can they be released from their debt if they don't acknowledge that it has been paid?

Dear God of Summer and All Things Therein, Thank you for the change of seasons.  Thank you for summer and for swimming pools and the opportunity to be home with my children.  Please help me to spend my life joyfully and with great love for them.  They depend on me to do this well.  Please inspire me as to how I can provide the best environment for cultivating healthy and holy souls.  This is time that I will never get back.  Please help me to remember that.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment