Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Uncomfortable Enough to Change

I met with my women's group at Church for an "Encounter with Christ" this morning for the first time since May.  It was wonderful to see them and the conversation and discussion were fruitful and positive, as always.  However, after I got home I realized a slight uneasiness, a discomfort.  I remember this feeling is not uncommon for me after these meetings; it's just been a while since I've been to one.  As I tried to get at the root of this feeling that seems paradoxical to the actual experience , it occurred to me...I have been challenged.  I feel a little uncomfortable because I know I could be doing better.  I got glimpses into three other lives which are lived striving after holiness, day after day.  Lives who all have aspects that are better or holier than mine.  This is not because they condemned or preached to me, but things that I can see for myself.  This is not a pity party or a competition, but a call to something more.  To respond to a more complete view of the Truth and to live in the light of that Truth.

I read something in the past day or two about iron sharpening iron.  Today, I am thankful for these "iron" women.  They make me better, sharper.  If it weren't for them, I would not know what I am not doing.  I would likely be satisfied that I'm doing enough.  Enough for God.  Enough for my family.  Enough for my neigbor. 

"God is easy to please, but hard to satisfy," as George MacDonald says.  Sounds about right.

Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for sisters and friends who lead us to You.  Thank you for their faithfulness and for helping me through them and glimpses into their lives.  Thank you for so many helps as I try to figure it all out in this pilgrim land.  Please continue to put people in my life who challenge me to be more like You.  Please continue to give me the grace to recognize when I am uncomfortable because I need to change and help me to make the changes necessary.  I want to please and satisfy You.  Your grace is sufficient for me.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment